1. I stayed late at the party last night.
2. The temperature has stayed hot this week.
3. He was sent into prison for stealing.
4. He stole out of the house without anyone seeing him.
5. The engines are driven by steam.
6. This cup is made of stainless steel.
7. We should take steps to prevent war.
8. She stepped on a loose stone and twisted her ankle.
9. Someone has sticked a label on the crate.
10. The old man could not walk without a stick.
11. The room was still at the end of the speech.
12. The fish is still alive.
13. He threw a stone into the lake.
14. They stopped to talk when they met on the street.
15. They would stop the rich from robbing the poor.
16. They put a stop to the evils.
17. He stored foods in his cupboard.
18. There is a large store in the village.
19. The clouds threatened a big storm.
20. This magazine published excellent stories.
21. That is a house of six stories.
22. He drew a straight line on the paper.
23. Come straight away after school.
24. It’s strange for her to be so rude.
25. He stood in a strange street.
26. They taught the little boy not to talk to strangers.
27. Visitors to the exhibition came in an endless stream.
28. They crossed the street and went into the shop.
29. I have hardly enough strength left to move my feet.
30. The union struck for better work conditions.
31. He is a strong man.
32. He struggled with his assailants and eventually drove them off.
33. Several people were hurt in the struggle.
34. How many students are there in your class?
35. Scientists are studying the photographs of Mars for signs of life.
36. His years of study were useful in his job.
37. The letter is written in formal style.
38. I wouldn’t tell lies to you; that’s not my style.
39. How many subjects are you studying this semester?
40. If you work hard you will succeed.
41. When the duke dies, his eldest son will succeed to the title.
42. His new book was a great success.
43. She’s just started up a new company; I hope she makes a success of it.
44. Such people can help you a lot.
45. His sudden death upset everybody.
46. They suffered huge losses in the financial crisis.
47. He put some sugar into his coffee.
48. He is wearing a black suit.
49. I had to spend a large sum of money to get it back.
50. The sum of 5 and 3 is 8.
51. The last section sums up all the arguments on either side.
52. The sun shines brightly.
53. Christians go to church on Sundays.
54. I was sitting in the garden enjoying the sunshine.
55. Have you had your supper?
56. The merchant supplies goods to them.
57. He needs a high income to support such a large family.
58. Which football team do you support?
59. They signed a petition in support of the workers’ demands.
60. We suppose that the situation will improve.
61. She is sure to pass the examination.
62. It was a pleasant surprise to learn of her marriage.
63. The news greatly surprised them.
64. She swept the floor clean.
65. This floor needs a good sweep.
66. The dish tastes a bit sweet.
67. The dentist told the boy not to eat too many sweets.
68. She’s teaching the children to swim.
69. He can swim breaststroke, backstroke and crawl.
70. He came into the room with a sword in his hand.
71. What are the difference between the American and British systems of government?
72. This tailor is famous for making good suit.
73. We listened to their tales about life in the Sahara Desert.
74. I had a long talk with her.
75. The talks between the two premiers will be held next month.
76. He is a tall boy.
77. The new government’s prime task is to reduce the level of inflation.
78. You can taste the curry to see if it’s hot enough.
79. This soup tastes of chicken.
80. The medicine has a bitter taste.
81. She has good taste in clothes.
82. Do you take milk and sugar in your tea?
83. We have tea at four o’clock in the afternoon.
84. I taught her to ride a bicycle.
85. My mother is a teacher.
86. I am in the school football team.
87. She tore her skirt on the nail.
88. She tore the child from its father’s arms.
89. My wife burst into tears when she heard the bad news.
90. I always tell my daughter a story before she goes to sleep.
91. It’s impossible to tell who will win the next election.
92. It’s difficult to tell Jean from Joan; they look so alike.
93. Have you been to the Temple of Heaven in Beijing?
94. I got up at ten last Sunday.