1. The envelope was firmly sealed.
2. Scientists are still searching for a cure to the common cold.
3. They searched the woods for the little boy.
4. We did a computer search for all the hyphenated words.
5. Winter is the low season at seaside hotels.
6. This meat should be seasoned with salt and mustard.
7. Her beautiful roses won second prize at the flower show.
8. Our goods are second to none on the world market.
9. The train will leave in a second.
10. Our plan must remain a secret.
11. What’s the secret of baking perfect bread?
12. We discovered a secret passage behind the wall.
13. Signals control each section of the railway track.
14. The architect drew the house in section.
15. First the surgeon performed the section of the blood vessel.
16. Make the windows secure before leaving the house.
17. It may be many years before the new company can gain a secure foothold in the market.
18. The little boy felt secure near his parents.
19. He secured the release of the hostages.
20. I looked for her in the crowd but couldn’t see her.
21. Do you see what I mean?
22. Part of every crop is saved for seed.
23. He was seeded number 1.
24. You should seek advice from your lawyer on this matter.
25. He seems to know everything.
26. He seems an energetic person.
27. Don’t hesitate; seize the first opportunity that comes along!
28. He seldom eats breakfast.
29. She selected a diamond ring from the collection.
30. A select group were invited to the wedding reception.
31. Knowledge of self increases as one gets older.
32. I’d like to buy your house if you are willing to sell it.
33. The music of this song sent her carefree and joyous.
34. Radio Beijing sends the news all over the world.
35. You should have had enough sense to turn off the electricity supply before disconnecting the wires.
36. I’m afraid I haven’t got a very good sense of directions, so I easily get lost.
37. I lost my sense of taste.
38. The horse sensed danger and stopped.
39. This word has three separate meanings.
40. The war separated many families.
41. This term will begin on September 7th.
42. This company was in serious financial difficulties.
43. Do you think he is serious about leaving the company?
44. A politician should be a servant of the people.
45. There were many servants in his house when he was young.
46. She has served the family faithfully for thirty years.
47. We are well served with gas in this town.
48. The postal service here is very unreliable.
49. You may need the services of a lawyer.
50. I received a set of gardening tools on my birthday.
51. Do you have a color TV set?
52. She set the foods and drink before the guest.
53. Nothing in the world is too hard to do if we set our minds on it.
54. I can’t stop you if you are set on going.
55. They moved the local people and settle them in another place.
56. The two companies settled out of court.
57. Everything is at sixes and sevens in the house.
58. His grandfather is nearly seventy.
59. I bought several books yesterday.
60. Several of the apples are bad.
61. Don’t be so severe to her—she couldn’t help it.
62. She received severe head injuries in the accident.
63. Would you sew this button onto my shirt?
64. We should have the whole deal sewn up by the end of this week.
65. There are no trees or bushes to give shade.
66. This seat is shaded by a tree.
67. He walked along in the shadows hoping no one would recognize him.
68. The tree cast its shadow on the wall.
69. He felt he was being shadowed, but he couldn’t see anyone behind him.
70. He shook his head in disapproval.
71. His voice shook with fear.
72. Give the bottle a couple of shakes before pouring the juice.
73. That was a moment that I shall never forget.
74. Shall I shut the door?
75. She was full of shame at her bad behavior.
76. He had no sense of shame and never felt guilty.
77. This island is triangular in shape.
78. It was the Greeks who shaped the thinking of Western man.
79. Children should be taught to share their toys.
80. If you want a share of the pay, you’ll have to do your fair share of the work.
81. She’s got all her money in stocks and shares.
82. I cut my finger on a sharp stone.
83. It was very sharp of you to have noticed that.
84. That woman has a very sharp tongue.
85. She is my sister.
86. He is as timid as a sheep.
87. We change the sheet every week.
88. They wrapped fish and chips in a sheet of newspaper.
89. The rain was coming down in sheets.
90. There is an ornament made of shells on the wall.
91. Shells were bursting all around.
92. All that remained of the building after the fire was an empty shell.
93. She was shelling peas.
94. In the storm I took shelter under the tree.