1. Which one do you prefer, an apple or an orange?
2. He is preparing his speech for the meeting tomorrow.
3. She was so quiet that her presence was hardly noticed.
4. He advocated the withdrawal of the American presence in Lebanon.
5. How many people were present at the meeting?
6. We learn from the past, experience the present and hope for success in the future.
7. I think these interesting old customs should be preserved.
8. I tried to preserve my independence.
9. It’s the duty of the police to preserve the public order.
10. President Lincoln was born poor.
11. He was invited to become president of the local camera club.
12. The power of the press is very great.
13. Can you have your report ready for the press by next week?
14. Press this button to start the engine.
15. What a pretty little garden!
16. The little girl is pretty.
17. What can we do to prevent the disease spreading?
18. These regulations are intended to prevent accidents.
19. What is the price of the suit?
20. I think you hurt his pride by laughing at the way he speaks English.
21. Pride was his downfall.
22. My teaching is my pride and joy.
23. My wages are the principal source of my income.
24. This printer can print 40 pages in a minute.
25. I can’t read small print without my glasses.
26. The thief had left his prints on the handle.
27. The thief was put into prison for one year.
28. Many people believe that prison isn’t a cure for crime.
29. The prisoners are allowed an hour’s exercise every day.
30. We are all prisoners of our past.
31. It’s illegal to read people’s private letters without permission.
32. The president is paying a private visit to Europe.
33. First prize in the raffle is a holiday for two in Paris.
34. It’s highly probable that they will win the match.
35. We’re going on holiday soon, probably next month.
36. This tree produces rubber.
37. She can produce delicious meal from very simple ingredients.
38. Female sheep produce one or two lambs at a time.
39. There is very little profit in selling newspapers at present.
40. I don’t trust his promise to come for a visit.
41. I promise to return your bicycle on good condition.
42. John promises well as an actor.
43. I don’t know how to pronounce this word.
44. Have you got any proof that you own this bike?
45. A soldier’s courage is put to the proof in battle.
46. The pages aren’t in proper order.
47. The police found some stolen property in the thief’s house.
48. He raised his arm to protect his child from hurt.
49. These rare tigers are protected by special laws.
50. They are poor but proud; they never borrow money or ask for help.
51. Tom is very proud of his new car.
52. He has proved his courage in the battle.
53. Perhaps this book will prove to be of some use to you in your studies.
54. The hotel provides a reservation of tickets for its residents.
55. These books will provide us with all the information we need.
56. The town has its own public library and public gardens.
57. The town gardens are open to the public from sunrise to the sunset daily.
58. Don’t pull my hair!
59. Some advertisements have no pull at all.
60. Their teacher punished them for their rudeness.
61. Dangerous driving should be severely punished.
62. How many pupils are there in your class?
63. She is a pure girl.
64. He was born to the purple.
65. That girl likes to wear purple dresses.
66. Did you come to London for the purpose of seeing your family, or for business purposes?
67. You may stop the machine by pushing this button.
68. He pushed his way to the front of the crowd.
69. He pushed her into making a decision.
70. He put some more wood on the fire.
71. Never put your trust to a stranger.
72. I want to know how to put this in French.
73. The quality of service in this restaurant has improved a lot.
74. He shows quality of leadership.
75. A large quantity of air-conditioners has been sold since the temperature is high.
76. The couple was quarreling furiously about whose turn it was to cook the dinner.
77. I got involved in a quarrel about the price.
78. It’s a quarter past ten.
79. Queen Marie Antoinette of France was the wife of Louis the 16th.
80. May I ask a question?
81. I would never question his honesty.
82. He gave a quick answer to the teacher’s question.
83. He is quick to understand.
84. Ask him to keep quiet.
85. When he quieted down, I began to tell him the truth.
86. I’ve quit my job.
87. The boy has quite recovered.
88. He was quite young.
89. I’m just a rabbit at tennis.
90. She came second in the race.
91. He is against race prejudice.
92. Hearing the bell, we raced to the class.
93. We will send the goods by railroad.
94. It’s raining hard.