1. Building materials are expensive.
2. He is collecting materials for a book.
3. The storm did a great deal of material damage.
4. I don’t talk with my boss about my private matters.
5. What’s the matter? Why are you crying?
6. It doesn’t matter about the price.
7. We may come at another time.
8. He will graduate from the school in May.
9. My mother usually cooks a hot meal in the evening.
10. My father and I only meet at meals.
11. I don’t understand what the word means.
12. The mean of 7,9 and 14 is 10.
13. He’s too mean to buy us a meal.
14. He measured the length of the room.
15. An hour is a measure of time.
16. The government has promised to take measures to help the unemployed.
17. There’s not much meat on that bone.
18. Have you taken your medicine?
19. The best medicine for you now would be a good holiday.
20. I met him in the street.
21. His charges were met with cries of anger.
22. The sun melted the snow.
23. His heart melted when he saw the little girl crying.
24. These chocolates really melt in your mouth.
25. He is a member of the Labor Party.
26. This computer has a 256K memory.
27. I have a very poor memory.
28. You never mentioned that you are married.
29. He made no mention of having met her.
30. They were lost at the sea, at the mercy of the wind and weather.
31. The king showed no mercy and killed all the prisoners.
32. There is a merry smile on her face.
33. Merry Christmas!
34. There is an important message for you from your brother.
35. Did you get the message the meeting has been postponed?
36. Christ’s message was that God loved the world.
37. Copper and gold are both metals.
38. The man has reached middle age.
39. He planted roses in the middle of the garden.
40. That shop closed at midnight.
41. I thought it might be true.
42. The United Kingdom was a mighty empire before World War I.
43. He has a mild nature.
44. The patient has a mild fever.
45. This cheese is very mild.
46. He has a 10-miles’ drive each day to and from his work.
47. The farmer whistled as he milked.
48. Would you like a glass of milk?
49. He used a miller to mill the grain into flour.
50. There were millions of people in the square.
51. Would you mind if I smoke here?
52. That book is mine.
53. A good encyclopaedia is a mine of information.
54. The cruiser was mined, and sank in five minutes.
55. He was elected Minister of Education.
56. The park is only five minutes from downtown.
57. You must learn how to take minutes.
58. I had remembered in minute detail everything that had happened.
59. May I help you, miss?
60. That was a lucky miss.
61. He arrived too late and missed the train.
62. I miss you very much.
63. It was a mistake to tell him.
64. You’ve made several grammatical mistakes in the composition.
65. You mistook my meaning entirely.
66. You can’t mix oil with water.
67. She put the sugar into the coffee and mixed them up with a spoon.
68. That beautiful girl is a fashion model.
69. This washing machine is the latest model.
70. She is a model student.
71. It’s more useful to learn modern languages, such as English and German, than Latin.
72. What do you think of modern art?
73. She wears a modern dress.
74. I’d like to speak to you for a moment.
75. I’ll be back in a moment.
76. He’ll arrive on Monday.
77. Money doesn’t always bring happiness.
78. His baby is six months old.
79. Last night there was a full moon.
80. There are more cars on the road in the summer than in the winter.
81. His illness was more serious than the doctor first thought.
82. The people next door play their radio from morning till night.
83. This is the area that attracts the most attention.
84. Most students passed the examination.
85. It was one of the most important discoveries ever made.
86. My mother is a housewife.
87. He looks down from the top of the mountain to the valley far below.
88. I guess there are mice in the kitchen.
89. These people live from hand to mouth on berries and roots.
90. He was trapped in the crashed car and couldn’t move his legs.
91. I was very moved by her story.
92. Mr. Smith is our teacher.
93. Mrs. Smith is Mr. Smith’s wife.
94. Ms. Brown is active in the party.