1. The thief broke into the house during the night.
2. The car raised quite a dust as we drove off.
3. It’s my duty to help you.
4. I’m duty bound to visit my old aunt.
5. Each man has his own name.
6. We each have our private views about it.
7. He is eager for you to meet his friends.
8. The company is eager to expand into new markets.
9. The boys listened to my story with eager attention.
10. Don’t shout into my ears like that, I can hear you perfectly well.
11. It’s too early for getting up.
12. We shall find out the truth early or late.
13. He has earned a lot of money in this month.
14. His skill in negotiating earned him a reputation as a shrewd tactician.
15. The earth in the garden is good, soft soil.
16. He is expected to win the game with ease.
17. My parents are retired and now live a life of ease.
18. I don’t feel at ease in the strange place.
19. I can easily finish this work today.
20. She is easily the best lawyer in the city.
21. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.
22. Take the east road; it’s the shortest way.
23. He has stopped working and leads a very easy life.
24. We talk about reducing our costs, but it’s easier said than done.
25. The Chinese eat with chopsticks.
26. She shouted on the mountaintop and listened for the echo.
27. The room echoed with their happy laughter.
28. His voice echoed in the big empty hall.
29. Please sharpen the edge of this axe.
30. She lost a handkerchief edged with blue.
31. The advertising campaign didn’t have much effect on sales.
32. A new system of taxation will be brought into effect next year.
33. We’ve tried our best to effect reconciliation between the two parties.
34. It’s quite an effort to lift this heavy box.
35. Despite all our efforts we still lost the game.
36. This hen lays beautiful brown eggs.
37. There are eight students in the classroom.
38. My daughter is eighteen years old and has grown into a beautiful lady.
39. You may take either of the roads.
40. If you do not go, I shall not go either.
41. They elected him chairman.
42. The President elect will be installed next week.
43. The little boy left primary school at eleven.
44. What else could I say?
45. Hurry, or else you’ll be late.
46. The British Empire once covered large parts of the world.
47. Our company employed about one hundred people.
48. The police had to employ force to break up the crowd.
49. He has fifteen workers in his employ.
50. His room is empty.
51. At the end of the film, the hero wept bitterly.
52. They ended the party off with a song.
53. The enemy was forced to retreat.
54. Politicians should not engage in business affairs that might affect their political judgement.
55. I have engaged a room at this hotel.
56. Jack and Anne are engaged.
57. There must be something wrong with the engine of my car.
58. He was born in England.
59. Do you speak English?
60. How did you enjoy the concert?
61. Do you have enough time to finish the paper?
62. Enough is as good as a feast.
63. Please do not enter before knocking on the door.
64. I’ll meet you at the entrance of the zoo tomorrow.
65. He had passed the entrance examination of the college.
66. Women demand equal pay for equal work.
67. He feels that they are his equals.
68. None of us can equal her, either in beauty or as a dancer.
69. There are several errors in the input.
70. The accident was caused by human error.
71. The prisoner has escaped.
72. The thief jumped into a car and made his escape.
73. Noise is unpleasant, especially when you are trying to sleep.
74. Is France in Europe?
75. He won the first game and I won the second, so now we are even.
76. John doesn’t go out even in the summer.
77. He looked happy, even gay.
78. Could you come back home early this evening?
79. I’ll probably see you tomorrow, but in any event I’ll phone.
80. Have you ever been to Paris?
81. He has read every book on the shelves.
82. I enjoyed every minute of the party.
83. The police told everybody to remain in their cars.
84. Money isn’t everything.
85. Everything is ready now for the party.
86. What is the exact size of the room?
87. I don’t know the exact terms of the contract.
88. The train arrived at exactly 8 o’clock.
89. Their answers are exactly the same.
90. Tell me exactly where he is.
91. The doctor examined her carefully.
92. This church is a classic example of medieval architecture.
93. Her diligence has set an example to the others.
94. Many great men have risen from poverty—Lincoln, for example.